Do you want to empower diverse employees in your workspace and wondering how to do so?
If yes, today, we will share with you four different steps that will help you empower diversity in your workplace. Additionally, it will also make your employees more sensitive towards diverse employees. Once it happens, you can create a healthy work environment as well. While these changes might not happen overnight, once you undertake these steps, you can notice the difference usually within a couple of months. Let's look at the four steps which you can undertake.
1. Modify your hiring policy
Unless and until you modify your hiring policy, you cannot achieve diversity in your workplace. Merely having 1% of diverse employees won't work. You will have to alter your hiring policy altogether.
Most organizations do not encourage hiring from the LGBTQ+ community. These individuals often lack the resources to gain accolades. Due to this reason, they might be slightly below par your ideal candidate. However, you need to have an open hiring policy that encourages hiring such candidates. When that happens, the percentage of such candidates in your organization will increase automatically.
Once the percentage of such candidates increases, they too will feel comfortable working in that environment. It is one of the first steps that you need to undertake to empower diversity in your workplace.
2. Train your employees
Initially, when you make these changes, some of your current employees might resent those changes.
The best way to tackle this problem is to train your employees. You can choose online training software such as EasyLlama. EasyLlama has an inclusion, sensitivity, and diversity training program for employees. Once you add your employees into this program, you can help create a jovial atmosphere at your workplace.
The program will train your employees to respect diversity and honor the differences of other employees. In that case, the resentment among your existing employees will vanish. Once that happens, your employees will also feel empowered.
3. Work on increasing the retention rate
While hiring diverse employees is essential, retaining them is equally important as well. Otherwise, the overall percentage of diverse employees will not reach a respectable level in your organization.
You might be thinking, how to increase the retention rate? There are a few ways to do so. These include:
· You need to have a proper onboarding process for such employees.
· You have to ensure that you treat such employees with respect. You have to encourage your employees to do the same.
· Additionally, you can modify the company policies to accommodate such employees. For example, instead of offering them a standard insurance policy, you have to provide them with policies that cover surgeries and treatments. These can include hormone surgeries, gender confirmation surgeries, and so on. Such accommodating policies are sure to increase the retention rate.
· Similarly, you have to ensure that religion is not a cause of concern at your workplace. That once again will help you retain employees from diverse religions.
These are some of the ways in which you can significantly increase the retention rate of diverse employees.
4. Adopt changes at the top
While all these steps are pretty helpful, you need to bring about some changes at the top. Only, in that case, it will become easier for you to truly empower diversity.
There are a few ways in which you can do so. These include:
· You have to adopt the same policies while hiring executives for the upper management.
· You have to ensure that you are genuinely liberal while promoting such candidates.
· Similarly, when you're hiring brand ambassadors or other such people associated with your brand, you have to try and hire them from the LGBTQ_ community. Doing so ensures that you get a brand to revamp and empower diversity in your organization.
These three tips will help you bring about changes right at the top. In case you're already looking for a partner to buy in, you can give preference to LGBTQ+ entities in that case as well. The ways in which you can bring about changes at the top are plenty. Once you bring about changes at the top, the diverse employees will undoubtedly feel more comfortable working in your organization. That is true empowerment.
So, empowering diversity in your workplace is not a difficult task. Using this 4-step guide, you can achieve the same quickly. Most businesses/companies do not know how to start. Now, with the help of this guide, we hope to give tips to solve that problem for you as well.